Monday, February 13, 2006

The Day Prime Minister Rafik Hariri was Assassinated



It was Monday February 14, 2005 and I had some things to do before leaving to Egypt the next day on a 10-day vacation. I left home at about 11 and went to Hamra street where I bought my favorite newspaper, Al-Hayat. Then headed to my barber Ali in Makdisi street since I was in desperate need for a haircut after seven weeks in Iraq. My friend Hamza, who I was supposed to use his flat in Cairo called me and said he will ask the man who takes care of the apartment make sure it is cleaned before I arrive on Tuesday.
Not finding Ali, I decided to go back home and give it another try in the afternoon. At 12:55 as I walked in Sidani Street near Bliss street I heard a massive explosion. I asked myself immediately whether what I heard was a blast or Israeli war planes have broke the sound barrier. I picked up my telephone and called my boss who was north of Beirut but confirmed he felt something.
Things started getting clear when I saw thick black smoke billowing from downtown Beirut. At first, I thought it was inside AUB and started running toward the smoke through bliss street in the direction of Ein Mrayseh. About 10 minutes later after hearing the blast I reached the scene where I saw about a dozen cars on fire and debris all over the place. A massive crater could be seen in front of Saint George Hotel. Dozens of people gathered to watch what was going on, many of them taking pictures with their cellular telephones.
I picked up the telephone and tried to call the office to dictate an urgent but was only able to get through after trying the number several times. Then I saw an ambulance. I went toward it, looked inside from behind the glass and saw a body covered with a sheet. Three policemen stood outside the ambulance and a member of the Civil Defense was inside near the body. The Civil Defense member then jumped outside the ambulance, clearly shaken, and told the policemen: "I am scared. I need someone to go with me." A police officer answered while looking at the two policemen: "Yes we better have one of you go in the ambulance." The policemen and the civil defense member went in before the ambulance left. Hours later I knew that the body in the ambulance was that of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.
I frantically ran from one side to anther asking policemen who was the target. No one gave me an answer. No one said a word but I was sure they knew who.
Walking in the middle of the destruction I saw a Mercedes with three totally-burnt bodies inside it. I got through to the office after several attempts and dictated an urgent that at least four people were killed in the blast.
I don't know why when I was in the middle of fire and mangled cars I thought that the French ambassador was the target.
About half an hour after I arrived, I heard a police officer telling a colleague of his "it is the motorcade of the big man." The officer then burst into tears. I asked him "which big man," but he asked me to go away. At that point I said they must have targeted Prime Minister Hariri. I called my boss and told him that it seems Prime Minister Hariri "might have been the target."
"Ohhhhhh Nooooooooo," he answered with a sad voice.
Few minutes later I saw Robert Fisk of The Independent walking around the area. We walked toward each other and I told him it seems Prime Minister Hariri was the target. He thought the same. As the time passed more bodies were being taken away from the scene outside the Saint George Hotel.




Later I returned to the car where the three bodies were and took another close look. Then I saw a young man, who was identified as one of Prime Minister Hariri's guards, came walking toward the Mercedes. He looked inside and a second later burst into tears putting his hand on his forehead (look at the photograph). "It's Abu Tarek," he said when he looked at one of the bodies.
At this point it became clear that Prime Minister Hariri was targeted since Abu Tarek is the head of his security.
About an hour later more security forces arrived at the scene and pushed us away from the area. Several Cabinet ministers and members of parliament also arrived and one of them, Tourism Minister Farid Khazen, confirmed Prime Minister Hariri was assassinated.
At about 4 p.m. I headed to the office and stayed there working until about midnight.
From the window I could see that night that all the restaurants in downtown Beirut, where lovers were supposed to celebrate Valentines Day, were closed.
Feb. 14, 2005 ended as one of the darkest days for Lebanon in decades.

www.hariri.info

Bassem Mroue
Beirut February 13, 2006.
6:45 p.m.

8 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Maya said...

What a moving report of your personal experience of Feb 14th 2005.

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am grateful that you do not blame Israel for this. Arabs blame Israel for so many things that it is a relief to read an article where the tragedy is not the fault of Israel.

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gripping story, Bassem. Well done. Jasper, Cairo

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://ww.rpinternational.org/home/tramadolonline/#2 tramadol 400 mg dose - order tramadol

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, gucci handbags, jordan shoes, nike free run, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, christian louboutin uk, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren, nike free, air max, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, chanel handbags, louis vuitton, replica watches, louboutin pas cher, michael kors pas cher, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, nike roshe, nike outlet, tiffany and co, tory burch outlet, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, replica watches, jordan pas cher, burberry pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet online, sac longchamp pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, polo outlet, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

burberry handbags, uggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, timberland pas cher, true religion outlet, guess pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, nike tn, ralph lauren uk, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, ray ban pas cher, coach outlet store online, burberry outlet, kate spade, nike free uk, mulberry uk, nike air max uk, new balance, coach purses, nike blazer pas cher, nike roshe run uk, hollister uk, uggs outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike air force, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, nike air max, lululemon canada, polo lacoste, michael kors, nike air max uk, true religion outlet, true religion jeans, coach outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, sac vanessa bruno, michael kors, vans pas cher

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nike huaraches, nike air max, lululemon, north face outlet, hermes belt, ralph lauren, iphone 6 plus cases, giuseppe zanotti outlet, s6 case, mac cosmetics, timberland boots, iphone 6 cases, iphone 6s cases, hollister, mcm handbags, ipad cases, iphone 6s plus cases, nfl jerseys, new balance shoes, herve leger, chi flat iron, mont blanc pens, ferragamo shoes, bottega veneta, soccer shoes, oakley, wedding dresses, insanity workout, iphone 5s cases, louboutin, p90x workout, beats by dre, hollister clothing, babyliss, north face outlet, valentino shoes, nike trainers uk, nike roshe run, jimmy choo outlet, abercrombie and fitch, soccer jerseys, baseball bats, celine handbags, ghd hair, longchamp uk, reebok outlet, iphone cases, asics running shoes, instyler, vans outlet

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

moncler, pandora jewelry, canada goose, toms shoes, canada goose outlet, converse, gucci, doudoune moncler, moncler, links of london, canada goose jackets, juicy couture outlet, moncler uk, ugg uk, hollister, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, moncler, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, vans, pandora charms, converse outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, montre pas cher, moncler outlet, barbour uk, ugg pas cher, pandora uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour, moncler, replica watches, lancel, hollister, karen millen uk, swarovski, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, nike air max, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, ray ban, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, swarovski crystal, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, supra shoes, canada goose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma
Mesothelioma